Hi, I’m Raf!
I’m responsible for the thoughts and views here. I use these pages as an outlet for minimally censored spewage about software, architecture, lean product development, learning loops, home-schooling, Science and the Ukulele. I am a dadgineer, proven technical leader, Agilista, architect and full-stack polyglot engineer.
Check out my resume if you want to collaborate, chat with or hire me.
I’m a Londoner, now living as a Kiwi in rural New Zealand. I work as the Head of Technology at a remote-first Scale-Up which is redefining how we educate tomorrow’s engineers.
I’ve enjoyed 20 years of working on fun and performant projects at scale. Fun fact, I was developer ~#4 at Booking.com* when it was a wee little pepper-shaker. Someone at a conference told me that I was their earliest commit (although this would have been in CVS). I built my first website in 1994 and believe in a free and open web.
Due to my love for building the right solution for the right business problem, I have naturally gravitated towards being a comb-shaped engineer.
Hit me up if you’re interested in freelance engineering or organisational consultancy. Quote: Gollum’s Ring in your mail.
- Coding since the age of 9 in the early 80’s with BBC Basic, Zortech C, 6502 and ARM 2 Assembler
- Built high data/low latency solutions at scale for BBC i-Player, Morgan Stanley, NTT, Spark’s Spotify Integration, Stuff and other known brands.
- Architecturally aligned with Data Stream Architectures/EAI/DDD/(A)TDD/Microservices/Fullstack
- Provided direct Lean technical and architectural coaching for multiple teams
- Successfully mentored/championed/partnered with my teams to achieve full cross-functionality, user engagement and continuous delivery
- Champion of user/dev empathy, a common business language, fast-feedback, automation and continuous improvement
- Experienced Agilista with a preference for Kanban and Lean / ICAgile Certified Coach ICP-ACC
- Professor by Contract for OpenClassrooms with course design and creation of Java undergrad and grad courses
- Believer in shift-left security who has been a Security Champion hat and championed the introduction of Security Championship in teams
- InfoQ.com News Editor, Home Schooling Dad, DevOpsDaysNZ organising team, Head of Technology, speaker at meetups and conferences See my InfoQ Profile
- Turn Around Lives Through Teaching
- Psychology and the Art of Pair Programming
- Climbing Out of a Crisis Loop - Delivered at QCon together with Katherine Kirk
- Other talks on my slide share: https://www.slideshare.net/rafgemmail/presentations
Open Courses Delivered
Open Source Projects
Currently active projects. Checkout my github repos and org repos for more historic and less maintained stuff.